AAP 9 Watt Compact UVc Sterilizer
• For aquariums up to 150 gallons (best under 75 gal. for level one Sterilization) or ponds up to 1000 gallons (11" in length)
• Suggested flow rates 225/360 gph (aquarium/pond); this is very generalized, please read this article for more specifics: UV Sterilizations, all about
• Unique Swivel directional intake/outlet at the end of the UV Sterilizer body; with this you can change the direction this inlet/outlet port faces for easier mating to specific aquarium or pond applications.
• Easy to view light port at the end of the UV Sterilizer body allows for user to see if the UV lamp/bulb is properly functioning.
• Design of UV maximizes the length on the UV body, allowing for more REAL UVC exposure time, and better UV Sterilizer dwell time
• Dimensions: 11" x 3"
-We have found 3/4 inch ID Tubing works best with this size Terminator UV
Since this UV Sterilizer generally works best with pumps or filters that utilize 5/8" (16mm) ID Tubing, we suggest a couple of these 1/2-5/8" x 3/4" adapters for a more easy fit:
-UVC Bulb included, replacement bulb available here:
9 watt Replacement lamp; G23/PLS 9
DO NOT be fooled by some Compact Inline UVs sold on the internet with medium pressure UV lamps (which the MAJORITY now due with a resulting 75% reduction of UVC output), poor construction, and poor ballasts that often burn out after a few months.
We have tested via our sister aquarium maintenance businesses and rejected units such as Jebo, Coralife Turbo Twist, or Aqua Medic as they did not measure up!! (there IS a reason these UVs are found at eBay & elsewhere for cheap prices)
As well do not be fooled by similar models sold on Amazon or Ebay that are cheaper versions of these models.
FACT: Our AAP models INCLUDE Low Pressure High Output UV Lamps that have 4 times the important UVC output as well as electronic ballasts capable of firing these High Output lamps (these lamps/ballasts add to the cost, thus the higher price of our units).
Reference: Actual UV-C Emission from a UV Bulb; A MUST READ if you are thinking of purchasing one of these cheaper versions!!!
Compare our customer service and 38+ years experience in UV Sterilization Research and hands on use
For more in depth UV Sterilizer/Clarifier information please read!!
Compact Pond or Aquarium UV Sterilizer, Clarifier Information
• Solid construction with easy service and maintenance
• One Year warranty against defect (6 months for UV-C Bulb/Lamp)
Includes all weather indoor/outdoor electronic ballast. This does not warranty against miss-use such as letting the unit run dry (or near zero flow), which generally results in over-heating which then results in damage to the electrical contacts and more (cracking, etc.)
• AS PER OUR TESTS; Excellent exposure time per gph of water inside unit with a flow design that maximizes water exposure. As well as a less than 1.5 cm distance between UV inside wall and quartz sleeve (approx .6 cm reaction chamber) with an Intensity Factor of at least 250.
This ENSURES the AAP Compact UVs can provide at least LEVEL ONE UV Sterilization!!
• ALL these Compact UVs can be used in Fresh or Saltwater Aquariums, as well as for Pond use
• Excellent value, especially when compared to the Tetra UV or gimmicky units such as the Turbo Twist which I have personally used in our sister aquarium maintenance & design business with NO better results, not to mention the high rate of ballast failures for the Turbo Twist noted by our aquarium maintenance company
• Quite simply there is NO better UV in its class, the "Compact Aquarium or Pond UV Sterilizer" (yes there are better units for more money in a different class such as TMC Advantage or Vectons).
Standardized Replacement Low Pressure High Output UV Bulbs/Lamps; NO problem finding replacements unlike proprietary UV bulbs used by many UVs such as Tetra
9 UV Clarifiers can be installed in-line, (such as with a Canister Filter or power head) placed on a valve controlled bypass, or hung on the back.
For HOB applications where an internal power head/pump/filter is used, I recommend the purchase of the intake and return adapters which are sold separately to keep tubing from "kinking" (see picture of these lower on this page).
The picture to the right shows a 9 Watt UV installed under the cabinet with a Fluval Canister Filter
• EXCELLENT for use with Bio Cube or Internal Wet/Dry Filters for which they easily install to (See this blog post: Bio Cube, UV Sterilizers )
• These Compact UV Sterilizers/Clarifiers use 3/4 inch to 1.50 inch ID (inside dimension) tubing
We recommend a pump with at least 4 feet of head pressure to adequately "push" water through even a 5 Watt UV.
These UVs are not designed to be "hard plumbed" directly to PVC, rather utilized with flexible tubing then to pump/filter or PVC.
• Utilize premium standard low pressure mercury High Output UVC lamps are rated at 36,000 to 42,000 microwatt-seconds per square centimeter (uw-sec/cm2), which is the industry standard.
Although be aware that many SunSun UVs using the same model utilize UV bulbs that are medium pressure which ONLY provide 7-14% UVC irradiation, which is 1/4 the output of the lamps we utilize (often sold for low prices at eBay & Amazon) .
This is why SunSun on the box calls it a UV Clarifier, as when run under the flow rates suggested on the box, along with the medium pressure UV lamp that is standard on many models other than the AAP models, this would only be a UV Clarifier.
Our flow rates suggested along with the low pressure HO lamps, makes our AAP/SunSun UV Sterilizers true level one units!!
Also, many popular brands of UV Sterilizers such as Cal Pump or Tetra use proprietary UVC Lamps/bulbs, forcing the purchase of replacement UVC bulbs at often triple the price of industry standard bulbs.
-For more about Ponds including a UV Pond Installation Diagram
• Although we give many pond/aquarium size suggestions, these can vary greatly based on bio load & more and in the case of ponds for instance, even a very small pond in full sun in a warm climate would likely be best with a minimum of a 9 Watt UV Sterilizer.
Please see Why Use UV Sterilization; Correct UV Sterilizer Use for more in depth information to help best fit your aquarium or pond UV Sterilizer/Clarifier
• Please note that while our suggested aquarium/pond sizes as well as recommended flow rates may seem lower than most other web sites UV Sterilizers/Clarifiers (& even what the manufacturer writes on the box), this is because we publish tested and proven flow rate and aquarium/pond size suggestions based on our 30 years experience, not best case scenario or even impossible flow rates.
Know that when you purchase a UV Sterilizer from us whether the SunSun/Terminator, TMC or others that recommendations are based real world experience and facts.
Also consider the TMC Vecton/Advantage Premium UVs such as the Vecton 8 watt, which due to their high UVC dwell time actually outperforms a 9 watt Terminator or the 15 Watt Vecton or Advantage which outperforms the 18 watt SunSun/Terminator.
See this article for more about: UV Dwell Time