- Filter Max Pre-Filters
- AAP Filter Max 2
AAP Filter Max 2
• Sponge size 4 inches by 2.75 inches
• Tank size: up to 40 gallon
• Surface area: 49.4 sq. in.
• Suggested Actual Flow Rate 130 to 200 gph
The Filter Max Adapts to most all round intakes (& Teflon tape can be used to make a more snug fit on less tight connections), here are the sizes of the adapters:
• 1-1/4” OD. 1-1/4” ID
• 1-1/8” OD, 1” ID
• 5/8” OD, ½” ID
• 7/8” OD, ¾” ID
All adapters can be connected to either the outside or the inside of the intake pipe for your filter, whatever works best.
NOTE (from AAP founder Carl S.):
There is NOT one round intake that I personally have not been able to connect a Filter Max together with, although sometimes with some Teflon Tape was used for a more snug fit.
I even once (with much modification, silicone, and Teflon tape), connected a Filter Max to a square intake on an Emperor filter (please do not purchase a Filter Max thinking this will be a simple DIY modification to adapt it to a square filter intake, as it is not)
Also note: that the replacement sponges are NOT meant to be used by themselves on intakes, etc.
Our long time professional use in literally 1000s of applications has shown that when a sponge is simply "slipped over" an intake, instead of used with the full "skeleton" of the patented Filter Max filter, the amount of debris trapped is considerably less!!
WHY BUY ANYWHERE ELSE?
Also beware of sellers of similar Chinese made sponges without the patented design being marketed to just slip over your HOB or Canister Filter strainer, these are VASTLY less effective than the Filter Max Patented design which uses the strainers to hold open the entire sponge surface area.
Professional experience over decades of use (& experiments) has shown that simply placing a sponge over a filter strainer only utilizes a small area of the sponge and results in clogging much more quickly!
• Prevents debris such as dead fish and plant material from clogging the intake by distributing suction evenly down the length of the sponge.
• Maintains the biological filtration when the main filter is changed or cleaned.
• Vastly increases bio filtration capacity over many standard Aquarium Power Filters (HOB filters).
• Can be used with most power heads as a temporary or permanent filter in aquariums, isolation tanks, holding tanks, etc.
Professional Aquarium and Pond Filter Experience• Prevents small or baby fish from being suctioned into the main filter
• Prevents anemone and invertebrates from being suctioned into the filter.
• Traps larger waste particles, mechanically cleaning the water
• Can be used with most outside filters, canister filters and power heads.
• Increases depth of HOB filter intake by up to 6 inches (15 cm.) for better over all circulation (it is still recommended to have more than one independent filter or at least a separate air stone for best over all filtration results).
• Increases longevity of filter cartridges (often by 300% +) of filter the Filter Max is attached to by removing a considerable amount of debris prior to entry into the filter, this in turn saves money with less filter cartridges purchased and less clogging hassles (especially with high efficiency filters such as the Rena Smart Filter (Discontinued).
• Includes three adapters for use with various main filter intake tubes.
• Easy to clean. Just rinse and squeeze in used tank water
• Can be used in the vertical or horizontal position.
• Available in three sizes
Aquarium Pre Filter in aquarium• A must for HOB (hang on back power filters), such as Via Aqua, Penguin (older models), SunSun, AquaTech, Aqueon or Whisper (or most others with “round” intake).
As well the Filter Max fits all canister filters with round intakes we have ever attempted such as the Eheim, Via Aqua, Fluval & many others (sometimes a little DIY ability is needed).
These pre-filters retain and improve biological filtration even when HOB filter media is changed. These pre filters also extend intervals between filter cartridge changes, saving money (and contrary to some opinions, improves the efficiency of cartridges by removing more coarse debris before entering the filter, thus allowing the cartridge to remove more fine debris)
• The Entire Patented Filter Max is recommended for best results based on AAP's founder's vast experience with this product, use of just the sponge often results in 1/4 the capacity of the sponge being utilized.
• Excellent to use with CO2 generators to better diffuse CO2 into the aquarium (you use these filters to diffuse the CO2 bubbles into the aquarium)
• Please note that in each Filter Max suggested Flow Rate we state "Actual Flow Rate", this means the flow in gph or lph that the filter or pump actually produces with all filter media & head pressure added.
Example; the Filstar XPS is Rated at 250 gph, but its actual flow rate is 142 gph as normally configured on an aquarium.
A Filter Max can also be mounted to a power head/water pump such as the Rio Plus 1000 (Discontinued) pump shown in this diagram/picture ABOVE & BELOW using the parts that are provided by both the Filter Max and Rio Pump (a Filter Max #3 is recommended, although the #2 can work as well).
The picture above also shows the larger AAP HydroPond Prefilter too mounted to a Rio Plus Pump.
This application works well for using your Pump to run other devices/filters such as a Fluidized Sand Bed Filter.
Occasionally, even with all the variations available with the three adapters plus the elbows provided with the Filter Max Pre-Filter, the filter does not fit as snugly as desired.
The above picture displays a SunSun HBL-501 Hang On Aquarium Filter where some Teflon Tape was added to make the fit more "snug".
The picture below shows a variety of ways to connect to less than standard intakes (which are more and more common of late).